Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Book Review: Who moved my cheese?

It’s been long since I wrote on Book reviews now. One reason being my inability to read new books now. The GMAT thing has just taken the better of me. Anyways I couldn’t resist this book as I was about to make a two hour journey to my sister’s place.

“Who moved my cheese?”, I heard the name of this book for the first time when the VP of a subunit from my organization cited the relevance of this book in today’s scenario. The book is two hours read, but serves as a life time guide. What makes it different is not the story, but the review and application of the main story in question. The book follows a very curious style of narration followed by friends who actually discuss the ways how they applied the story in their real life in different scenarios.

The book is about school friends’ reunion, where one of the friend actually goes ahead to narrate the story of “Who moved my cheese?” The story is about two mice Sniffy and Scurry and two little people “Hem” and “Haw”. These creatures lived in some sort of maze land having cheese stations. Every morning they would run around in the maze to find cheese, till one day when they found a cheese station with huge cheese reserve. All four of them were excited to find it and happily started feeding on it. However one fine day the cheese got over and they had nothing to eat. Sniffy and Scurry who had already sensed this much before, moved ahead into the dark maze to find the new cheese station. How ever Hem and Haw, being little people had complex thought, stayed back to cry over the loss. The story is about how Haw, later, went ahead to find his cheese.

The book has motivating and insightful points highlighted in separate pages (A thing worth going for). What makes the book even more beautiful is the discussion that follows. First of all, the friends decide the character they resembled the most in their real life and then they discuss how they propose to apply it in their real life. The application they discussed ranged from their current Business to how they propose to improve their married life with the help of this story.

To sum up, the book weighs much more than it looks like, but then how much one imbibes from it depends on whether you are Hem, Haw, Sniffy or Scurry!!!

2 comments:

  1. this is hari from http://stockdummy.blogspot.com, ur site is nice and u r in my daily visitors list. pls do visit my site

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for appreciation rimm. I'll try to keep up my standards. Will surely pay you a visit.

    ReplyDelete