Monday, April 28, 2008

Book Review: The Monk who sold his Ferrari

This one review was pending since a long time. I read this book quite sometime back. After that I read its “Counter” book “I bought the monk’s Ferrari” and just went ahead to write its review. But then there was a reason why I waited so long. Actually the review of this book should not ideally be on the blog, (why? You’ll find that out soon), but then you see I am so talkative that I just can’t stop ranting about everything I know.

First of all I rate the book five out of five for the point it makes. The protagonist Julian Mantle, who is a hotshot lawyer, is hugely successful professionally. A descends from reputed family background. A brave, intelligent and hard working lawyer who rarely looses a case, just collapses with heart seizure on one fine day. Reason? As Julian fought his way to the top, he started loosing out on personal front. The hectic hearings schedules and his drinking habits had severely taken a toll on his health.

By now you must have guessed it what follows. Yes Julian sells off all his belongings along with a Ferrari and goes on search of salvation to Himalayas. Julian also happens to be a lucky ones to make it the Shivanas (The holy adobe of great Indian Saints and not easily accessible to everyone). Till this part the story is narrated by his secretary. After sometime, Julian returns back from his journey to spread what he learnt.

The author makes much sense here as he talks about self improvement, self realization and goes on to give a must do for a better life. But then I was not able to make it to the end of the book. As I went ahead reading the book I kept getting a feeling that bug of ambition within me was getting starved by the thoughts imparted by the author. There is something that I am striving for, something that all Entrepreneurs are striving for and while you are into this pursuit someone comes and makes you believe that whatever you long for is worthless!!! How will you react to this? Once again the reaction depends on your determination.Once again I reiterate, the book is one of the best life improvement books available in market, but then be clear of your priorities before you get a copy for yourself. Cause the author’s persuasive style of writing is just irresistible.

No comments:

Post a Comment